Everyone Deserves a Beautiful Smile
We think that patients of all ages deserve beautifully aligned smiles. Our team is proud to provide the best in orthodontic care for children, teens and adults in the Brentwood area and beyond.
Orthodontics for Children
There is no exact minimum age for children to begin orthodontic treatment, but the American Association of Orthodontists recommends that a child should receive their first orthodontic evaluation by around the age of seven. At this stage of dental development, most children will have a mix of primary teeth and permanent teeth.
This makes it easier for experienced orthodontists like Dr. Hann to catch and correct tooth and jaw problems early, potentially preventing them from becoming more severe and requiring more serious treatment methods later on.
Early treatment with Hann Orthodontics may include:
- Correcting and guiding the growth of the child's jaw, helping the permanent teeth to come in straight
- Regulating the width of the upper and lower arches
- Creating more space for crowded teeth
- Helping young patients avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Correcting bad habits like thumb sucking, finger sucking, or extended bottle or pacifier use
- Helping to improve minor speech problems
Orthodontists are trained in what to look for in children that would indicate a problem, but it’s not so simple for parents.
Looks can be deceiving, and you may not realize your child needs orthodontic treatment by observing their outward appearance only. However, there are a few things to look out for:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- A difficult time chewing or biting food
- Finger or thumb sucking
- Crowded, misplaced, or blocked teeth
- Jaws that pop or make sounds when opening and closing
- Teeth that come together abnormally, or don’t come together at all
- Jaws and teeth that aren’t proportionate to the rest of the face
- Crowded front teeth from around the age of seven or eight
Orthodontics for Teens
It’s not unusual for teens and parents to be nervous about impending orthodontic treatment. Bulky metal braces are a thing of the past, with today’s options smaller, sleeker, and far more comfortable than ever before. We offer a variety of styles and materials, and even have many colored bands to choose from, to better reflect the personality and lifestyle of our teen patients.
Hann Orthodontics has a variety of orthodontic appliances to choose from, both fixed and removable. These options include:
- Traditional metal braces
- Ceramic braces
- Invisalign Teen
The question we hear most often from teens is how long they’ll have to undergo orthodontic treatment. Unfortunately, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer to that, because every case is different and every patient responds to treatment in their own way.
We can generally give an estimate, however, and one of the biggest factors in the length of time treatment will take is the patient themselves.
By following Dr. Hann’s recommendations, taking good care of their appliance, and maintaining a good oral hygiene routine, teens can keep their treatment time to a minimum.
Orthodontics for Adults
Orthodontic treatment isn’t just for kids and teens. More and more adults are choosing to receive treatment, as one in four current orthodontic patients are over the age of 18. Some of the most common issues we see in adult patients seeking orthodontic treatment are:
- A bad bite, or malocclusion, that is causing the teeth to fit together incorrectly
- The teeth are too crowded
- The teeth are spaced too far apart
- Abnormal jaw pain
- Pressure caused by crooked teeth
- A desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
For adults who are concerned about their appearance during orthodontic treatment, there are several discreet but effective ways to straighten their smiles, including clear braces or clear aligner systems like Invisalign.
Whatever the age, the first step to a healthier, straighter, more functional smile starts with a complimentary consultation with Dr. Hann. Click here or call our office for more information about scheduling yours today!